Vergisson

Vergisson

Friday, May 25, 2012

I thought I knew a thing or two about Prosecco

I thought I knew a thing or two about Prosecco.   I was pleased as punch when our Gasparini Venegazzu Brut arrived with it's shiny new Asolo DOCG label.   We're often vying for case stack spots with the Villa Jolanda Prosecco...very cute bottle, but the wine is from the Piedmont.  Prosecco from the Piedmont?  Why?  Because it sells of course.  Prosecco has been getting more and more popular every year and as it does more and more people are trying to get into the game.  So I for one welcomed the new clarification between the original zone of Prosecco producers and everybody else.  I also didn't really understand the argument that this was making too much of Prosecco-that Prosecco isn't complex enough a wine to warrant DOCG status.   But Moscato d'Asti is?   Just look at poor old Moscato...it's long had the DOCG distinction, and sadly this has done nothing to stem the tide of Moscato from everywhere from Australia to California.

Well, if you want to pack your brain with more info than you would have thought there was to know about the classic Italian bubbly, check out this back and forth between two guys that know a lot about Prosecco, Alan Tardi and Jeremy Parzen on Jeremy Parzen's terrific Do Bianchi blog.  A response to a response about Tardi's article in The NY Times,  “Prosecco Growers Act to Guard Its Pedigree”
http://dobianchi.com/2012/05/23/prosecco-polemic-alan-tardi-responds/
there are more interesting little factoids in these three pieces than there are bubbles in a glass of Prosecco.

I will say that it's a little strange to see Parzen refer to the wines of Franco Adami, one of Prosecco's most passionate and devoted advocates who had been fighting for years to obtain the DOCG distinction, described as "an expression of the consumerist hegemony that has choked my beloved trevigiano since the 1990s when Prosecco became a brand in the U.S."   With so many boogeymen "brands" to blame for the bastardizing of Prosecco, Adami seems an odd target.  I mean there's a Santa Margherita Valdobiaddene bottling and that Lunetta Prosecco by Cavit for God's sake!!  Or how about that juice from the Piedmont?  Maybe the real Italian wine guys don't even speak of these names.  But I didn't really mean to get into the fray here, because of the many things I learned reading this back and forth, my main take away was that I have a lot to learn when it comes to Prosecco.  If you feel like me, then this is a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment